Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Honey Words

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits." Prov 18:21


"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Prov 16:24






The last few weeks have been extremely challenging. Caleb is growing up and  needing more attention. He doesn't sleep through anything and everything like he did the first month of his life. I end up with many moments during the day when one child is crying and I can't fix it because I am busy with the other child. I found myself beginning to say things in my head like, 


" I can't do this anymore."
" I don't have the patience for this."


Ever have those times? God helped me realize what lies those are. First of all, what do those phrases even mean? Even after the hard moments and days I will keep loving and taking care of my boys so obviously I DO have the patience for it. I CAN keep doing it. God spoke to me through this verse,


"I am the LORD; there is no other God. I have equipped you for battle, though you don't even know me,"" Isaiah 45:5


Whenever the "I can't do this anymore" thoughts popped into my head last week I tried rebuking them with that verse. I am equipped for this! I have all the patience and wisdom I need for this mommy job.I asked God to give me new words to strengthen my spirit and this week He gave me two phrases to get me through the tough moments...


"Just wait 5 more minutes."
It sounds silly, but saying that to myself has helped so much. Usually, within 5 minutes our home can be peaceful again. Kai's tantrum will be over, Caleb will fall asleep, or I will find a way to multitask. So when they are both crying and I don't know what to do...just persevere for 5 minutes. I can do that. 


"It's just another learning opportunity."
The toddler tantrums are SO frustrating. I have to remind myself that when Kai has a tantrum it is not me failing, it is just Kai learning. And he IS learning. They are getting better and better and fewer and further apart. He is growing up one tantrum at a time.


I ate and lived off those words the past 2 days. They were sweetness to my soul and healing for my family. :)

1 comment: