Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beans 'n Greens: Southern Greens and Quinoa

(Sorry, I need some help with my photography skills...)


Older black women can cook some of the best southern goodness you've ever tasted. A friend of mine had her mom teach me how to cook greens. They were so good I wanted to eat the whole pot for dinner. The second time I made them I decided to do just that. I threw in some quinoa and wall-ah! Easy, healthy dinner in a pot. It turned out delish! I can't wait to make it again. Here's the recipe. 

  • 1 smoked turkey leg (the secret ingredient! mmm. you can buy these pre-cooked in packs of 2 at Kroger in the meat section)
  • 1 large onion
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 lbs mustard or collard greens, rinsed and chopped
  • 2 cups quinoa (more or less depending on how thick you want it)
  • 5 cups chicken stock 
  • 1-2 TBS brown sugar (optional to counter bitterness of greens)
  • 1-2 TBS white vinegar
  • Dash of red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Water
In a large pot, saute chopped onion and garlic. Add greens and saute until wilted. Add chicken stock, smoked turkey leg, brown sugar, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour until greens are almost ready.  Add quinoa and extra water if needed. Simmer for additional 12 minutes to cook quinoa. While quinoa is cooking, remove the turkey leg to chop up and mix into soup. Eat up! mmm mmm :) 

*My "soup" turned out really thick. You can add extra water or chicken stock if you want a more soupy consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment